Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Herb Garden gets a new sign.


Due to a very harsh winter here in Western Kentucky, I lost a number of tender perineal herbs, including a 7 year old rosemary tree. It seemed like a good time to re-do my herb garden. I was gifted a pretty little bird bath a couple of years ago and had not found the right spot for it. After removing the dead rosemary tree, a perfect spot was created.
 
I found a darling wind chime at Tuesday Morning in the same color as the bird bath. To add another color, I chose a yellow million bells plant.

To tie it altogether, it needed a sign.

 
 
Using a technique I learned in a Kijsa Houseman workshop, I painted a board with teal paint. While it was drying, I used my SilhouettePortrait to cut a stencil from contact paper. I adhered the cut-out letters to the board, painted over it, again with teal. This step helps to keep the next color from bleeding. After it was completely dry, I painted the board yellow and left it to dry. When it was dry, I pulled off the letters, revealing the blue paint, attached a chain and hung on the fence.

Sorry there are no photos of the process. I have several more signs to paint; I will do a more detailed tutorial.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment